Area Events Recognize National Eating Disorders Awareness Week
The Western New York Comprehensive Care Center for Eating Disorders (WNYCCCED) at the University of Rochester School of Nursing is hosting several events to recognize National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, Feb. 26-March 4.
“The goal of this week is to shine the spotlight on eating disorders and put life-saving resources into the hands of those in need,” said Mary Tantillo, PhD, PMHCNS-BC, FAED, CGP, professor of clinical nursing and the director of the WNYCCED. “We want individuals in our community to know the signs and symptoms of eating disorders, so that when they see people in trouble, they can lead them to help.”
The WNYCCCED, a partnership between the UR School of Nursing and Child and Adolescent Eating Disorder Program at Golisano Children’s Hospital, is directed out of the UR School of Nursing, and serves as the hub for eating disorder services in the 30-county western New York region. The center and one of its affiliate sites, the Healing Connection, Inc., will host the following events recognition of the week. All events are free and open to the public.
Sunday, Feb. 26
- What: A screening of the documentary “Tough Guise 2: Violence, Manhood, and American Culture,” followed by a panel discussion featuring men in recovery, the mother of a young man who had an eating disorder in the military, and Mark Warren, MD, chief medical officer of the Emily Program, a multi-state eating disorder treatment system
- When: 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Where: The Little Theatre, Theatre 5, 240 East Ave., Rochester, NY 14604
Monday, Feb. 27
- What: “Males and Eating Disorders…NOT a Myth,” presented by Dr. Warren
- When: 7:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
- Where: School of Nursing, Helen Wood Hall Auditorium (1W304), 255 Crittenden Blvd., Rochester, NY 14642. Parking passes will be available, and breakfast will be provided.
Wednesday, March 1
- What: The Healing Connection Open House – Celebrating the Addition of the Outpatient Mental Health Clinic
- When: 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Director of Monroe County Office of Mental Health David Putney, MS, CRC, LMHC, New York State Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, and individuals in recovery will speak at 6:30 p.m.
- Where: The Healing Connection, Inc., 1320 University Ave., Rochester, NY 14607
Sunday, March 5
- What: The Annual Coffee House event featuring the musical and literary talents of individuals in recovery. Attendees can purchase raffle tickets, food, and drink to support eating disorder prevention, treatment, education, outreach, and research.
- When: 2 p.m.-5 p.m.
- Where: Equal Grounds, 750 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14620
For further information about these events, please contact Jennifer Dry De Santo, MS, ED, WNYCCCED care manager, at 585-276-6102 or Jennifer_DeSanto@urmc.rochester.edu.