Why Choose the ABPNN Program?
You’ve envisioned a different future for yourself — and so have we. You’re ready for a career where you can make a positive difference in people’s lives, where you are respected for your professional skill, knowledge and compassion, and where you can continually learn and grow.
You’re ready to be a nurse.
The Accelerated Programs for Non-Nurses (APNN) from the University of Rochester School of Nursing were designed for students just like you. You already have a bachelor’s degree, but you’re ready to make a rewarding career change. In just 12 months, you can earn a fully accredited nursing degree through our Accelerated Bachelor’s Program for Non-Nurses (ABPNN) and be on your way to a new and exciting health care profession.
The UR School of Nursing is one of the largest and most respected nursing schools in the country. Our nursing programs are distinguished for their strong academics and immersive clinical experiences. Yes, you’ll be challenged, but we offer exceptional support every step of the way to ensure that you reach your goals.
Perhaps the greatest benefit of getting your degree from the UR School of Nursing is our close association with University of Rochester Medical Center. Many graduates are employed with the Medical Center and most clinical experiences are right in the neighborhood. Your cohort will become your professional network, and your classmates and professors may likely become your future colleagues.
Program Requirements & Application Process
Start your online application today. The ABPNN is designed for students who already hold a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field. The full list of admission requirements include:
- a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field from an accredited school
- cumulative GPA of 3.0 preferred for the non-nursing bachelor's degree
- two favorable references, which address academic ability and nursing potential
- typewritten professional statement with career goals
- personal interview with faculty member (we will schedule this interview after you have completed your application. Interview can be in person or over the phone).
- prerequisite courses with grade of C or above, (labs are not required).
- Courses: Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Nutrition, Human Growth & Development (also called Developmental Psychology), Statistics (You can complete these prerequisite requirements with our online Fast Track courses at a discounted rate)
- for international students, TOEFL with a minimum score of 560 (paper-based), 230 (computer-based) or 88 (iBT)
- CPR certification
We do not require any standardized test scores as admission criteria for the ABPNN program. You may send supplemental application materials to:
University of Rochester School of Nursing
601 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY 14642