We welcome experienced clinicians in primary and specialty care as well as leaders and managers in health care from across disciplines and clinical settings. UR School of Nursing preceptors mentor students from across our master’s programs, including:
- Nurse Practitioner programs
- Health Care Organization Management and Leadership program
- Nursing Education program
- Clinical Nurse Leader program
Benefits of Precepting
Being a preceptor is a mutually rewarding experience. Over the course of a semester, you will work with a graduate student and provide a safe and supportive learning environment.
Students often tell us how much they value their precepted clinical experience and the guidance and mentorship provided by their assigned preceptor(s) as they work towards acquiring the skills needed for advanced practice.
Our preceptors work with the brightest and most dedicated nursing and health care students and we work hard to match you with a student who will be a good fit within your practice.
UR School of Nursing preceptors also enjoy the following benefits:
- Potential for an adjunct or clinical appointment within the School of Nursing
- Documentation of your precepting hours if you choose to use the precepting experience for ANCC or AANP re-certification requirements (certification agencies offer CE credit for precepting)
- Recognition for service and CEU credits (at no cost) at the Annual Preceptor Workshop
- Opportunity to build relationships with UR School of Nursing students, faculty, and other preceptors as well as evaluate potential future employees
- Support from Clinical Site and Preceptor Coordinator Karen Kirkey
- Support from the School of Nursing faculty
- Flexibility to choose whether to precept each semester, or just once or twice a year
Become a UR Nursing Preceptor
Are you ready to take the next step in helping to develop future generations of nurses? The UR School of Nursing is in need of highly-qualified clinicians from across the Western New York region with a minimum of one-year experience as an NP, CNM, or MD/DO.
Fill out this form and we will contact you and guide you through the process of becoming a preceptor.